10 Tips for sustainable tourism
Have you ever wondered how responsible you are with the environment when you’re traveling? Sustainable tourism is a form of tourism committed to avoid generating negative impacts on the environment and local culture of the destination you visit. In this post, we will give you 10 tips for traveling responsibly.
1. When planning your trip, collect all possible information about your destination. Spend some time to get to know the customs, norms and traditions. Choose services that offer quality and environmental friendliness.
2. Use natural resources such as water and energy sparingly. Remember they are scarce goods.
3. Try to minimize waste generation, the main source of contamination.
4. When you have to get rid of waste, do it correctly, placing it in the right place.
5. When you visit an open-air space, ensure that the only traces you leave behind are your footprints. Respect the artistic, archaeological and cultural heritage.
6. If you visit sensitive ecosystems, Protected Natural Areas, learn to cause the least possible impact and do not harm it.
7. When buying gifts and souvenirs look for products that express the local culture. This promotes the economy for these small towns and it spreads cultural diversity.
8. Do not take the wildlife protected by the Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), or any products derived from these species. It is a crime and contributes to their extinction.
9. At your chosen destination, enjoy exploring the culture, customs, cuisine and traditions of the local inhabitants. Respect them and check them out, there is much to discover.
10. Try to contribute with your presence: the development of responsible and sustainable tourism, building your trip around a safe and supportive environment.
If you have any other tips for responsible tourists, share them with us on this post. Until next time!
Learn more about StarPeru promotions.